Wednesday, September 14, 2011

.food + friends.

Back in 2008, I came up with this crafty idea to hand out to friends {and family} for Christmas.
A Friends + Family Cookbook!
It took a little time and effort, but I think it turned out pretty cute and it was a total blast for me to make. 
I simply emailed a bunch of my closest friends and asked them to send me their one favorite recipe {or for those who really embraced the idea...three recipes!} and then I typed them all up, real puuuurdy like, and put them into a duo tang or binder. Then I wrapped it in pretty paper, added a bow and Viola!
It seemed to go over really well and, as I mentioned above, was a total blast for me to make {as you all know, the food loving gal in me was thrilled! I got to find out what everyone's fav was and now had the secret directions in my greedy little fingers. Guess this appeals to the snoop in me too!}
So Last night, while P and I where looking at what to make with our Salmon that we had out, we came across this little doozy. And it was Amazing! I couldn't believe that we had this recipe for the last 3 years and had never made it! Silly Husband and Wife. So he made the side dish {a yummy quinoa with mushrooms and green beans}, and I made this main course. Aww, aren't we such good little cooking partners.
Salmon with Black Bean Sauce
Ingredients:
4 x 6 oz Salmon Fillets, 1 inch thick
2 tbsp Soy sauce
2 tsp Sugar
1/2 cup Canola oil
2 tsp Cornstarch
1 1/2 cups Chicken stock
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp fresh Ginger, peeled and minced
2 tbsp jarred Black bean sauce (available in the Asian or Sauce section of your grocery)
2 tsp Rice vinegar, or white wine vinegar
1/4 cup grated Carrots
1/4 cup grated Radishes
1/4 cup slivered Scallions
Preparation:
1.In a large bowl combine the soy sauce, sugar and 1/4 cup of the canola oil.
2.  Make 3 slashes in the skin side of each salmon fillet, cutting halfway into the fish. Place the salmon in a shallow dish and pour the soy-sauce marinade over it. Refridgerate for 30 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and chicken stock. Set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of oil over medium heat and add the garlic, ginger and black bean sauce. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the garlic is golden. Add the vinegar and the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, remove from heat, and keep warm.
5. Preheat the oven on Broil setting.
6. Remove the fish from the marinade and place on a foil-lined broiler pan, about 3 inches from the heat. Broil 3 to 4 minutes per side, until just cooked through (center should be slightly translucent).
This would be an excellent dish to serve to some friends or family too! Easy to make, looks pretty, and tastes yummy. I bet you could even impress the mother-in-law. Just saying!
xx
If you have a favorite recipe, or family 'secret' dish that you wouldn't mind sharing, please send it to me or leave it below in the comment section. It's been 3 years since I last gathered them, and would LOVE to replenish my stock!! It would be very much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i think comments are pretty awesome!